Jun 1, 2009

Chayote (chow chow)Fry



The chayote (Sechium edule), also known as Sayote, Tayota, Choko, Chocho, chow-chow, Christophene, Mirliton and vegetable pear is an edible plant that belongs to the gourd family Cucurbitaceae along with melons, cucumbers and squash. It's also an excellent source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate, Zinc, Copper and Manganese. Costa Rica is a major exporter of Chayotes worldwide. Click here to know more about chayote squash.

Ingredients :

Chayote squash – 1 medium, 1" cubes
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Onion – 1 cup, chopped
Salt *
Mustard seeds – 1/8 tsp

For paste :

Make a Coarse paste
Curry leaves – 3 strings
Coconut scraped fresh/frozen/dried – 4 tbsp
Green Chili – 2 *

Directions:

Pressure cook the Chayote for 1 whistle. Heat the oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, let it splutter then add onions and salt. Sauté the onions until they become translucent. Then add the paste and sauté until you feel the aroma of coconut and curry leaves paste. Add the pressure cooked Chayote and pan fry until it become tender.


Photobucket


I would like to add a special thanks to Padma and Shubha for passing the "I love your blog" award.

26 comments:

  1. Thats a yummy curry...I have never added coconut in chayote before...I have to try out your method soon. Congrats on your award :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this squash is new to me...curry looks yumm,will try to learn more abt this chayote..congrats on ur awrad...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never made Coyote squash this way. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the award Kalai.Enjoy. The chow chow is clicked so well and the curry leaves paste coating is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simple and delicious fry! This squash is new to me. Wow and lots of nutritional benefits! Would search for this on my grocery trip next time! You have a nice blog..Keep going! See you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is real gud...I always endup making dal with chow chow...this looks indeed gud

    ReplyDelete
  7. chow chow fry looks new to me.Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is very different recipe..will try it nexyt time

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aha...this is one fry i can make without regrets..(b'coz of less oil).It's simple to make and has unique flavors

    ReplyDelete
  10. This fry with onion is new to me, use it in kootu, curry & Chutney. Will try this yumm recipe next time.
    Your pictures are awesome, bright and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great preparation for Chayote squash! Those two scrumptious pieces in front of the bowl on the pictures are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey chayote in one of my fav dish mostly bcoz of its a different taste and easy to cook ;), never tried this way...will sure give a try soon.thanks for ur comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on your Award!!! I never knew Chow chow had so many names!!! I have never made it like this, its tongue tickling and should have been aromatic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow1 new recipe to me ..1st time here lovely blog and shots ...:)
    hey thanks soo much for the comment@ my blog ...:) keep visiting

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cogratulations on ur award:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice recipe Kalai with ground ingredients ... though have used this veggie many times... never tried it this way... looks so delicious and also nice click... will try soemtime and surely let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. new to this dish..very elegantly made.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am new to your blog...you have nice collection of recipes....., have bookmarked you happy blogging !

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, fry in chayote? :) So far I have tried only Dal/Kootu kind of recipes. This is whole new idea. I love Chow Chow and am sure going to tru this. Thanks for the recipe Kalai.

    And Thanks for visiting my page and your encouraging comments.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Chow chow sounds really different!!Congratulations & Celebrations!!!
    Must have been flavourful and perfect delight.
    Thanks for dropping!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Kalai,

    I am happy to share my AWARD with you.Pls chk it out in my page..

    ReplyDelete
  22. congrats on ur award, chow chow fry looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful click!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Congrats on the award !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. First time here, nice food clicks will be back again :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi,How to make the chayote more soft. thanks

    ReplyDelete